Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A New Year, A Time for Change

Hello 2007! I really can't believe that the year is already over. It really does go by faster every year (wow, I really am starting to sound like my Mom) :)

So, we (Lance and I) have decided that 2007 is a year for change. We have a wonderful life - but know that there are a few things that we could be doing for ourselves to improve our outlook a bit.

We have already started a big change: we joined Weight Watchers in November with several friends, and so far have done very well. We managed to stick it out through the holidays, the hardest part of the year. My weight loss has varied according to many different scales, so I don't know an exact number - I just know that my pants are already fitting differently and in a couple of weeks I should be down a pant size! Whoo hoo! I'm really proud of both of us, and for our friends and family for making it easy on us through the holidays. I also took the step of joining Curves, a women's-only gym, last night. I really think it's going to be a motivating place for me to get healthy and start to work on having a body that I can be proud of.

We are also going to be taking more control of our financial future. We came into this marriage with some debt, and Lance has been diligent about doing what we could this past year to get us to where we need to be. We sat down last week and made a financial plan for the next two years. It will take some sacrifice on our part (no more vacations for awhile!) but we both feel like this is the time to make some changes. We got ourselves in this position, it's our job to get us out of it. In two years we plan on being absolutely debt-free (except for the mortgage and my car note) - and that will be the time to start looking for a new house. Two years sounds like a long way off, but it really isn't: two years ago from now we were newly-engaged and planning our wedding. Amazing, again, how time flies!

Beyond these two major changes this year, these are my New Year's Resolutions (they're not promises, they're goals - because a broken promise sucks):

1 - I will try to not yell at other drivers, even if I am cut off by someone not using a signal and turning from the wrong lane and blocking my way (I think I just described every Memphis driver).

2 - I will do a better job of telling my husband how much I appreciate all the special things he goes out of his way to do for me. I am so blessed to have such a sweet and doting husband - and I want to make sure that he knows how much all of those everyday things mean to me.

3 - I will do a better job of eating leftovers. I'm notorious for letting old food sit in the back of the fridge until it grows its own twin - and I will try to do better and not waste as much food.

4 - I will do small random acts of kindness. This is something that I used to do quite often, and I need to get back into the habit of passing on "happies" to strangers: give the person at the drive-thru window 5 extra bucks to help pay for the person behind me, let the person in line behind me at the grocery store with two items go ahead of me, etc. I think those little things add up - and I never know how that small act can change someone's entire day.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but I'll start there. I'll come back and add more as my list grows.

2007 is going to be a wonderful year, I can feel it. And I can't wait to see where it will lead!

-JessWill

No comments: