Monday, December 07, 2009

Favorite Time of Year

The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas has always been my favorite time of year, and this year's has not disappointed! We are only two weeks in, but we've had so many wonderful things happen to us as a family. I know I won't be able to share everything here, but we can't wait to fill you in as soon as we can :)

Lance and I spent Thanksgiving in Houston with my parents, sisters, bro-in-law and nephew. It was fantastic! It is rare for everybody to be "home" at my parents' all at once, and we enjoyed every second of it. On Thanksgiving day, my parents hosted both sides of their families for the holiday meal. It was so much fun getting to spend time with all of our aunts/uncles and cousins. Joe, my bro-in-law, brought his Xbox so the little ones were entertained playing Beatles RockBand. We all enjoyed some very yummy food, and had lots of laughs together as a family.

Friday morning, we celebrated Christmas a little early - since we won't be back with my fam for the holiday. Quentin had such a great time opening his presents! Watching him is always my favorite part - Christmas is so different when there is a little one involved. You get to see it all through their eyes :)

It was hard for Lance and me to come back to the "real world" after Thanksgiving, but I must admit it was nice to be back in a routine again. Sleeping in, napping, having happy hour every evening on the porch - don't get me wrong, I loved everything we got to spoil ourselves with in Houston! - but as someone who craves consistency, I loved being back in our own bed again.

This past week was super busy, which seems to be the norm these days for us. Lance and his brother went to another Tigers basketball game Monday night, while I grocery shopped and got us somewhat unpacked from our trip. Then Lance volunteered at Starry Nights at Shelby Farms Tuesday night, while I had a last-minute happy hour with one of my all-time favorite friends, Hang. Wednesday was a great date-night at home - I made pasta and salad, which Lance and I got to enjoy together once he was finally home from work. Thursday was supposed to be Bunko night for me, but I was feeling pretty awful that day at work - stomach stuff, bad headache - so I opted out and spent the night resting on the couch. Thank God for such a wonderful husband who waited on me hand and foot. I am so spoiled!

Friday night was another date-night for us - but a real one this time! As one of our Christmas presents to each other, we had tickets to see Jackson Browne in concert at the Orpheum. Beforehand, we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner out. If you haven't eaten at Flight downtown yet (Main and Monroe) you are missing out! Lance and I both agree it is one of the best meals we have ever eaten in Memphis.

Saturday night was our Annual Christmas Party at home. The biggest treat is that my little sis Cynthia got to come in from Birmingham for the shindig. Lance and I got up super early that day, to put the tree up and finish getting the house ready for our guests. After Cynthia arrived, we enjoyed watching some football before everybody else arrived. It was wonderful having some of our dearest friends join us in celebration of the season. We had yummy BBQ, a gift exchange - and then we played a VERY fun Pictionary/telephone game (will explain another time). It was a blast, and we are both very grateful for all of the amazing people in our lives.

Sunday morning was the first Sunday for Crossroads to meet in our new/temporary home, the Cordova Community Center. We really missed our Sunday School group - it was so nice to see everyone again after being out of town two weekends in a row. The new meeting space is big and comfy. I think it's going to be a wonderful place for our church to grow and make new relationships with folks in the community.

We got to meet up with Lance's parents and bro for our usual Sunday afternoon lunch, and we were also joined by his aunt and uncle who were in from out of town. We haven't seen them both since our wedding! So that was a nice treat.

We have lots more coming up in the next few weeks, right up until Christmas. Lance and I are both extremely blessed to have such wonderful friends and family to spend time with, especially this time of year. We are thrilled for what God has planned for us as a family next year, and can't wait to take that journey with each of you :)

Love always,

-JessWill :)

No comments: