Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Things I've Learned

I haven't blogged in quite a while (shocker, I know).

This won't be another Andrew-centric post -- although I promise another update on my sweet boy very very soon. I wanted to share a few things I've learned these last few weeks. Some are light-hearted silly things, some are reminders of lessons from the past, and some unfortunately took tragedy in order to learn:

- You can never tell your kids "I love you" enough. Tell them often, and make sure they hear you.

- Being on the receiving end of a "pay it forward" gift from a stranger is indescribably wonderful. It gives you renewed hope that people truly can be kind.

- Being on the giving end of a "pay it forward" gift to a stranger can, shockingly, be genuinely hurtful. I won't go into too many details here -- but let's just say that when a third party is involved (charged with passing along this "happy" to the recipient of the gift) and are truly dumbfounded by the fact that you would want to do this, they can be very petty and downright mean. Giving should be the most rewarding thing you can do (waaaay better than receiving) and it's sad to me that that pleasure can be taken away.

- Stopping to watch a helicopter take off and land with your little boy, even for 2 minutes, can easily be the highlight of your day.

- When someone hurts you, it sucks. When someone hurts someone you love, it is impossible to forget.

- True friends are forever.

- For someone like me (about as opposite from a DIY-er as possible), I am amazingly addicted to home improvement and organization blogs. They are my weakness. I think I'm living vicariously through them. 

- Cherry chapstick is amazing.

- Finding babysitters can be extremely difficult. Especially if you wait until 5 days before the event, which you've had on your calendar for three months. Yuck. Hopefully we've learned our lesson.

- Red Lobster cheddar rolls = heaven. For reals.

- As hard as it will be to decorate for Christmas this year (it reminds me so much of my Dad and it's almost too painful to think about), I will do it anyway. It is the time for us to begin our own family traditions for the holiday, and I want Andrew to have his first Christmas tree and his own ornaments. I can't wait to see his face when he wakes up to our big ol' tree :)

- I miss Texas oh-so-much. This past year has made me ache to be a Texan even more than normal. As always I pray for God's direction in our lives, whatever that may be.

- Andrew's little fingers and toes might possibly be the cutest things I've ever seen.

The. End.

1 comment:

In Definition said...

so glad you blogged:)